Tuesday, October 16, 2012

SUSAN: BOOK REVIEW "I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier" by Crystal Rose


SUMMARY:
Ryan Gracin had a good life until he told his parents he was gay. Since they yanked their support for college he had to find a way to pay for it. Little did he know that joining the Army was going to change his life forever. Especially when he was introduced to a Drill Sergeant who was nicknamed 'Big Daddy'. Phillip Grabowski had joined the Army to follow in his father's footsteps; by the time Ryan entered, he had already made a name for himself. He was a soldier's solider, but Ryan was making it really hard for him to remember that.

REVIEW:
Ok, let’s just deal with the elephant in the room:

I am, indeed a 15-year old boy…at least I feel like I am every time I giggle at this title. Kekekeke.

This book is just silly. It called on every generic trick in the book. When it tried to be funny and “banter”ful, it fell flat. When it tried to be serious, I rolled my eyes. When it tried to be hot…well…I gotta admit, it was hot. 

Still, it read like a book written by a Writing 101 student…whose reader has never read a book before and needs to be spoken to in short sentences w/o any conjunctions to keep it simple. Don’t patronize…

Honestly, I did like the characters. Ryan and Phillip are attractive…if not entirely unbelievable. But I just couldn’t get past the writing…

…and, *giggle* *giggle*…the title.


IN A NUTSHELL:
Pass.

1 comment:

  1. Really, I couldn't help but giggle when I saw this title...

    ReplyDelete