Sunday, February 17, 2013

SUSAN: BOOK REVIEW - "Almost Like Being In Love" by Steve Kluger


SUMMARY:
A high school jock and nerd fall in love senior year, only to part after an amazing summer of discovery to attend their respective colleges. They keep in touch at first, but then slowly drift apart.

Flash forward twenty years.

Travis and Craig both have great lives, careers, and loves. But something is missing .... Travis is the first to figure it out. He's still in love with Craig, and come what may, he's going after the boy who captured his heart, even if it means forsaking his job, making a fool of himself, and entering the great unknown. Told in narrative, letters, checklists, and more, this is the must-read novel for anyone who's wondered what ever happened to that first great love.

REVIEW:
“Being Travis was a full-time job, yet that never kept him from teaching me how to be Craig.”

This book is about first love, true love, forever love…

Damn this book. 

Charming, witty, funny, original…and almost 100% quotable. This book made me laugh and cry and hope and hurt and hope and smile. Travis (me, if I was a 38 yr-old gay man) and Craig (my soulmate if I was a 38 yr-old gay man) were perfection. 

The book gets slow a bit towards the middle, and there were times, despite its charm, that I felt stuck and wanted the story to move-along a bit. Also, because ALL of the characters are so BIG in personality, I felt overwhelmed and irritable at times. BUT…it was all well worth it. 

The author has you guessing about who ends up where and with whom in the end…is it a HEA? Is it an unconventional HEA? Is it an “I love you enough to let you go” HEA? Is it a threesome HEA? Is it, is it, is it…???

I’ll only say this…it is. 

IN A NUTSHELL:
Hysterical. One of my favorite reads to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment