Wednesday, May 29, 2013

SUSAN: BOOK REVIEW "Imaginary" by Jamie Sullivan

I love this cover so much!!!! I want to hug it forever!!!

SUMMARY:
Aaron is a lonely, unloved boy when he first meets James. Their friendship seems like a dream come true—or perhaps just a dream, because no one else can see or hear James. Aaron stubbornly clings to his new friend, however, even when the friendship makes him an object of scorn and ridicule. No matter the years that pass, or the challenges they face, Aaron refuses to give up on his best friend—but life might just find a way to take James from him anyway.

REVIEW:
This book made me sad . I don’t think that was quite the intention. But, it just did. I probably shed more tears than the author ever planned on for a reader. 

I don’t like reading about 5 year old boys who are lonely and don’t have friends. It breaks my heart in ways hearts shouldn’t be broken. And any story about a young kid who is unloved in the foster system…well…I can’t even express how much that kills me…

Personal issues aside…

Aaron is a 5 year old who stumbles upon a new friend, James. For 10 years they grow closer, even though Aaron comes to find that no one else can see James and lest he get picked on, teased, and called crazy any more than he had, he keeps James secret. He also falls in love with him.

The relationship between Aaron and James is childlike and innocent and sweet. What they provide for each other is what you’d want for anyone – companionship, complete trust, family, love. But, of course, I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Is James really “imaginary”…or is there something more to his story?

I loved Aaron and James. I loved that they had each other in their lives. I loved that Aaron, despite growing up, would never let go of James as his friend, imaginary or not. I loved James’ complete devotion to Aaron. I even kinda loved the plot twist and the big reveal.

I didn’t love the 3 years between 15-18. I don't buy the explanation there. And I didn’t love the ending – and though I love a package wrapped up all nice and tidy, this one just didn’t jive…

IN A NUTSHELL: 
I can’t imagine reco’ing this to many of my friends. It reads more like a children’s book than even YA. But, I really enjoyed it's sweetness… 

No comments:

Post a Comment