Saturday, March 5, 2016

Book Review: FOOL MOON by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon
by Jim Butcher
Dresden Files, Book 2

I'm pretty sure I am crushing on Harry Dresden as evidenced by the fact that I'm starting a binge read of the series, and this is a commitment as these books are expensive for e-books. 

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Harry Dresden--Wizard
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work--magical or mundane.

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise.


A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses--and the first two don't count...

Harry is a multi-faceted hero. He has a high level of self-awareness.  He knows when he is at risk for temptation to the Dark side and manages to get himself straight.  He's conscious of the limitation of his powers. He is sensitive and vulnerable enough to shed a tear or two.   He is brave, heroic and very loyal. He's self-deprecating, despite his substantial power.  I love that he does not have his act together and struggles to be able to live as the wizard he wants to be.  

This story pits Harry against werewolves -all different kinds of werewolves.  I feel like Jim Butcher does a wonderful job summarizing the various types of wolves found in the UF/PNR - the Hexenwolf, werewolf, lycanthropes, and the loup-garou.  As much I want these stories to be light and comical, after all, Harry doesn't take himself too seriously and I don't want to either, this installment is scary.   Harry is terrified through most of the book and he has good reason to be. The one scene in the police station with the loup-garou will give me nightmares for days.  

It don't find the mystery of overly complex, but it does have depth.  The struggle between good and evil is nuanced with many shades of gray.  Intriguing. 

Given my new crush, I am curious if Harry will find himself in a romance triangle.  Karrin or Susan?  Susan has the inside track right now, but I don't know.  I have a feeling Karrin  will be making a run sometime in the future.  I cannot wait to see how this plays out.  

IN A NUTSHELL
I'm thrilled to have found this series.  I am concurrently listening the Harry Potter series with my young son on audio, and I cannot help but think of Harry Dresden as an adult version of Harry Potter.  With tons of charm, lots of magical talent, and the capacity to get into a lot of trouble, Harry Dresden is a satisfying and highly entertaining read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment